KIMBALL TOWNSHIP BOARD OF TRUSTEES
MUNICIPAL BUILDING, 2160 WADHAMS ROAD, KIMBALL, MI
JULY 16, 2013
Usakowski opened the meeting @ 6:30 p.m. with the Pledge of Allegiance.
ROLL CALL OF OFFICERS:
PRESENT: Usakowski, Jackson, Hand, Sturdevant, Wrubel, Kilroy
ALSO PRESENT: Chief Gorski – Fire Department
INVOCATION BY: None
I. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
Add II. a. Tom Riley, St. Clair County Commissioner
Add VIII. c. Allen Road Property
Sturdevant motioned to approve changes to the Agenda supported by Kilroy.
I. PRESENTATION OF MINUTES OF JULY 2, 2013
Item X. c. Jackson has exact figure for back taxes, which are $3,587.75.
Page 5. Under Tina Ritter, clarify handicapped swing instead of Ewin Sutherland Memorial.
Usakowski motioned to approve the minutes with the changes supported by Jackson. Motion Carried
- Tom Riley – County Commissioner
Discussed about getting signals for the railroad crossings for the Kimball Township Fire Department. He wants permission to research with the railroad at no cost to the township to check into the signals.
Township board agreed.
New convention center information article in The Times Herald was not correct. Tom explained more about the article.
III. CONSENT AGENDA AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Check Register from 06/24/2013 – 07/10/2013
1. Burnham & Flowers – Fire Department Life Insurance
- Revenue and Expenditure Report for Period Ending 07/31/2013
1. Jackson questioned Assets. Usakowski said it was a misinterpretation.
c. Board of Public Works of the County of St. Clair
d. Kennedy Industries
Usakowski motioned to approve Consent Agenda and Communications supported by Jackson.
ROLL CALL VOTE: Usakowski, Jackson, Hand, Sturdevant, Wrubel, Kilroy. NO: None
ABSENT: Ritter. (6-0-1) Motion Carried
IV. BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS
V. PUBLIC COMMENT (Brief Comments)
VI. FIRE CHIEF GORSKI REPORT
- KTFD Attendance Session Summary 06/01/2013 through 06/30/2013
- Attendance – Informative only
- Building committee met, update given, will be touring Grant & Burtchville
Fire Halls and will start meeting the 1st and 3rd Thursdays.
- Department garage sale was a success.
- Fire Department Picnic August 10 from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. at Sutherland Park.
Will be accepting donations.
- Truck 1 repaired, the other being worked on.
VII. OLD BUSINESS
- Copier Machine
Hand explained and discussed. Hand recommends option #2, MX-M543N.
Kilroy motioned to purchase the MX-M543N copier for $5,801.00 supported by Hand.
ROLL CALL VOTE: YES: Kilroy, Hand, Usakowski, Jackson, Sturdevant, Wrubel. NO: None. ABSENT: Ritter. (6-0-1) Motion Carried
- Administrative Policy and Procedure – Section 7 and Organizational Chart
Building Department Secretary should include Ordinance Enforcer/Clerk.
Usakowski motioned to approve the changes to Section 7 and the Organizational Chart supported by Sturdevant. Motion Carried
VIII. NEW BUSINESS
- County of St. Clair 2014 Local Road System Funding Assistance Program
Usakowski wants board members to come back with ideas for future road projects. Flinchbaugh was discussed. Will bring back to next meeting.
- Ordinance for Smiths Creek Sewer Special Assessment District
Might need to have public hearing to establish special assessment area. Discussion. Will bring back to next meeting with an ordinance number.
- Allen Road Property
Jackson gave handouts of description of property. Discussion. Also we have the option of purchasing North River & Wadhams. Property at Howard and Allen owe $3,587.75 in back taxes. Must advise county this week if we want it. Discussion.
Jackson motioned that the township purchase Parcel # 74-25-745-0100-000 for back taxes of $3,587.75 supported by Sturdevant.
ROLL CALL VOTE: YES: Jackson, Sturdevant, Hand, Usakowski, Wrubel, Kilroy. NO: None. ABSENT: Ritter. (6-0-1) Motion Carried
38 acres corner of Wadhams & North River covers both sides of the road and river. Dave Giles is the land caretaker and says the owner wants to sell the whole piece without splitting it up. Has a low SEV of $12,000.00. Dave gave a figure of $800,000.00 for the land. Something to think about in future discussion.
IX. AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION
Becky Jackson 1324 Mayer Road – Cal Hunt, Thank You for handicapped picnic table.
The Fall Extravaganza will not be at Sutherland Park, it will be at the property on North River Road and Wadhams. She is trying to get Port Huron Township and Clyde Township to join in. Joe Greaux, from the Pow-Wow wants to be a part of it too. There will be no fireworks or parade. They will have a concession stand at a minimal cost plus kickball, cardboard boat race, possibly inflatables and a movie at dusk. It will be on the second Saturday in September. Becky asked Rob to talk to Ron P. about the Cardboard Boat Race.
Treasurer Jackson noted we need to get an Outdoor Gathering Permit. Discussion.
Usakowski motioned to approve an Outdoor Gathering Permit for the event supported by Kilroy. Motion Carried
X. OFFICERS REPORT
- Supervisor Usakowski
1. Parks – Thank you to Cal for the handicapped table. We need to decide whether to
keep the sandbox at the Smiths Creek Park or get rid of it.
2. Request doctor note next time Marty misses work. Discussed looking into the policy and contract.
3. Cal, tires at Smiths Creek Park need to go and Sturdevant agreed. Could be pulled out with backhoe by DPW.
- Picnic tables – need to start replacing framework. We have approximately 50
- Cemetery – Neil was working with our engineer to come up with a scope for
bidding out the new cemetery drive. He’s trying to get specs.
- Strategic Plan – Each board member needs to pick an area and email Rob with
your 1st and 2nd choice of which area they want to work with.
- Clerk Hand
1. DPW took good care of the Smiths Creek Park.
2. Cemetery Board making list of violations.
- Joe Greaux invited all township board members and residents to a picnic on
July 28th at park 1, pavilion 2. Clerk Hand will find out what time it starts.
- DPW new employees have been working for two months now and he needs to
know whether we will be keeping them longer or not. Continue with part-time workers through September 3rd until we see what happens with Wayne.
Hand motioned to carry on with the part-time workers until September 3rd supported by Kilroy. Motion Carried
5. Moving plan – Discussion
- Treasurer Jackson
2. Collections – Do we go 60 days or 120 days? If billing on time, then it should be 60 – 90 days.
3. Water Increases for Clyde Township will bring to next meeting.
4. Streetlights must be increased before the winter taxes go out.
5. Budget is good.
- Trustee Kilroy
- Trustee Ritter
- Trustee Sturdevant
1. Questioned about steers at Angry Bull and mentioned that he has brought it to
- Trustee Wrubel
1. Are the cycles per minute right on the sign for Fore Lakes? Have they been to
ZBA? Need to ask Neil.
Hand – Assessor and payroll. Follow employee policy per Rob.
Usakowski motioned to adjourn the meeting supported by Sturdevant. Motion Carried
Adjourned at 8:08 p.m.
Robert G. Hand, Clerk